Choosing a wood flooring installation option for your new home can be really intimidating, especially if you have many options to choose from. One of the more popular choices when it comes to wood flooring installation is a hardwood flooring installation. As a matter of fact, a hardwood flooring installation requires very little maintenance, is extremely durable and can last a lifetime if not longer . There are many reasons for you to choose a hardwood flooring installation.
Why is the installation of hardwood flooring ideal for your house?
- Easy Maintenance: Maintaining hardwood flooring installation can be very easy and cost-effective as compared to other wood flooring installations. For any reason, if the hardwood flooring installation is damaged, it is still easy and wallet-friendly to redo it.
- Eco-Friendly: Hardwood flooring installation is environment-friendly. The trees that provide the wood for hardwood flooring installation grow faster than they are consumed. Hence, there is less of the destruction of forests or trees. Also, these hardwood flooring installations are degradable or reusable. Hence they won’t pile up in your waste, but rather can be creatively reused.
- Hardwood flooring can never be boring: looking at the same flooring every day can become boring and monotonous while giving it a new look after every few years can be pocket burning. With hardwood flooring, you can easily sand, scrape, wire brush, distress, stain, refinish and create a new plain canvas for your new designs.
- Never miss out on trends: Trends come and go, but hardwood flooring installation is timeless. It won’t ever lose its charm! In fact, as the years go by, any space with their original wood flooring installations is bound to become more valuable.
- A Hardwood floor can be your friend for life: Hardwood flooring can last for hundreds of years, literally! Since they are easy to maintain and also easy to manage they can go on for years. This way, you end up saving a considerable amount of money in replacing other wood flooring installations that may not be as durable or long-lasting.
Once you are convinced you want to install hardwood flooring, there are many things to consider before you can actually start installing it. Here’s a quick brief guide that can help you as to what factors need to be considered before going ahead with your hardwood flooring installation.
What things should be taken care of before starting with your hardwood flooring installation?
Solid wood flooring or engineered wood flooring?
Solid hardwood is thick planks of timber and completely natural. These have been used for ages and are still widely used. In Engineered Flooring, the topmost layer is made with wood or hardwood while the underlying layers are made of other materials and then bonded together.
Solid wood is generally added to a layer of plywood to attain solid hardwood. This increases the height of the wood flooring, but transitions/reducers are used to slope the hardwood flooring down to surrounding floors. On the other hand, engineered wood or hardwood is glued directly onto the concrete slab, plywood or wood sub-flooring.
Having said that, engineered wood is not always 100% natural. The underlying layers can be made up of different other materials, which can also be a little toxic in nature.
Prefinished hardwood flooring or Site Finished?
There are two ways in which you can choose to install your hardwood flooring. Either you can have prefinished hardwood flooring where you know what your end product will look like and you know exactly how your hardwood flooring installation will look. Here, the wood flooring installations are already designed, stained and top coated.
In site-finished, the hardwood is first installed and then worked on. This might not give you a clear picture, but if you wish to customize your flooring, the site finish is what you need.
When it comes to choosing wood for your hardwood flooring, there are many options to choose from. You can go either classic with Oak, Maple, Walnut, Cherry, or Birch or you can go with exotic ones like Brazilian Cherry, Brazilian Walnut, Cumaru, Jatoba, African Mahogany, Australian Cypress and so on.
Cuts of hardwood flooring?
- Strips: These are basically narrow boards of wood. Although their popularity has declined has a little with time, stripped wood flooring installation is charming nonetheless.
- Planks: Planks are wider than stripes. Their width is generally 3 inches or more but these days, 5 inches wide planks seem to be in demand.
- Parquets: Parquets are stripes or blocks of wood that form geometric or customized designs. If you wish to have your own customized designs along with other materials like marble, you can do so too!
Hardwood Flooring is one of the cost-effective, evergreen, easy maintaining flooring ideas along with a touch of sustainability that can go on for years and years! One of the best parts is that this is one kind of wood flooring installation that doesn’t really require you to hire anyone. You could simply do it yourself if that is something you would enjoy.